This week on i listen. i watch:
- Amanda wrote about The Avett Brothers: “I had seen punk bands less energetic. I had seen church services less spiritual. What I realize now, what I was trying to push away then, was that the music of The Avett Brothers felt like home, and home wasn’t going to let me run away.”
- Monika reflected on her first favorite song for Tunesday: “I don’t know why a mournful song hooked me as a kid. I didn’t think of it as sad at the time. I just liked the voice, the words, the melody. The whistling. I couldn’t sing, but I could whistle!”
- Jeremy dove into Netflix Random again and watched Roy Colt and Winchester Jack: “Excuse me. Is that fellow making monkey sounds while shooting to pieces an old man’s wooden crutches? Yes, yes he is. Yeah, I’m definitely sticking with this movie.”
Around the web:
- We lost Pete Seeger this week. Read his obituary here, and here are six great quotes from him to inspire you.
- House of Cards Season 2 is just around the corner.
- The new Doctor revealed his costume.
- Jeremy Messersmith – “Heart Murmurs” is available on First Listen over at NPR.
- Opening this week: Labor Day, That Awkward Moment, At Middleton, Best Night Ever, and Tim’s Vermeer.
Have a happy weekend!